Choose a state

Construction Work Regulated?

Who Regulates Construction?


State Business & Law Exam State General Contractor Exams State Engineering Exams State Subcontractors Exams State Electrical Exams State Plumbing Exams State Mechanical Exams State Solar Exams Electrical Inspector Registration Exams Mechanical Inspector Registration Exams Building Inspector Registration Exams Inspector Registration Exam Asbestos Certifications National Exams

Construction Work Regulated?

Licensing requirements exist for all commercial, residential and public works construction involving projects of $500 or more.

Certification or a specialty class of licensure (C-22 Asbestos Abatement) is required before any contractor may engage in asbestos-related work. Certification is required for the remediation of contaminated soils at specified sites and for the installation or removal of underground storage (fuel) tanks.

Property owners performing work themselves or by their employees or contracting with licensed sub-contractors or general building contractors are exempt from licensing requirements under certain conditions.

Who Regulates Construction?

Applications for contractors' licenses, certification or licensure for the performance of asbestos-related work (over 100 sq. ft.), certification for performance of hazardous substances removal, registration of home improvement salespersons and general licensing information can be obtained from:

California Contractors State License Board
Physical address: 9821 Business Park Drive, Sacramento, CA 95827
Mailing address: Post Office Box 26000, Sacramento, CA 95826
Automated Phone Response System: (800) 321-2752/Fax (916) 255-1958


First time applicants are subject to a business law examination and a trade examination. Exam results are good for 5 years. The applicants must document 4 years experience within the last 10 years as a journeyman, foreman, supervising employee or contractor in the classification being sought. The license is issued for 2 years.

Application Fee / License Fee / Renewal Fee
$330 / $200 / $400 Active renewal (2 year)/$200 Inactive Renewal (4 year)

All personnel listed on an application will be required to submit fingerprints.

License entities include sole proprietor, corporation, partnership, joint venture and limited liability companies. Corporations and limited liability companies must register with the California Secretary of State prior to obtaining a license. Their address is 150011th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. General Information can be obtained by
calling their automated number at (916) 657-5448 or by accessing their website at Any 2 or more licensees desiring to act in the capacity of a joint venture must secure an additional license prior to the award of the contract. Licensees may submit a bid as a joint venture prior to obtaining the joint venture

A contractor's bond in the amount of $15,000 is required on all active licenses. A separate "Bond of Qualifying Individual" in the amount of $12,500 is required for a responsible managing employee. A separate "Bond of Qualifying Individual" in the amount of $12,500 is required for a responsible managing officer, responsible
managing manager or responsible managing member owning less than 10% of the voting stock of a corporation or membership interest of a limited liability company. A responsible managing officer owning 10% or more of a voting stock of a corporation is exempt from posting this additional bond. A responsible managing officer, responsible managing manager, or responsible managing member owning 10% or more of the membership interest of a limited liability company is exempt from posting this additional bond. A $100,000 surety bond (in addition to the $15,000 contractor bond) is also required for all active limited liability company licenses.

A certificate of insurance for workers' compensation is required on all active licenses if employees are hired. An exemption from workers' compensation form must be filed if no employees are hired. Active licensees must recertify their exempt status every 2 years upon renewal. All contractors holding a C-39 Roofing license must provide proof of workers' compensation coverage regardless of whether they hire employees or not. C-39 license holders cannot file an exemption from workers' compensation. Liability insurance with the minimum aggregate limit of $1,000,000 is required for all limited liability licenses with 5 or fewer persons listed as members of the personnel, plus, an additional $100,000 is required for each additional member of the personnel of record, not to exceed $5,000,000 total.


Limited reciprocal agreements exist with Arizona, Nevada and Utah. The benefit of the reciprocity is limited to a waiver of the trade examination, if the applicant is applying for a similar classification. The out-of-state license must be current and in good standing and in effect for at least the past 5 years.

State Contractors License Center - CA