Choose a state

Construction Work Regulated?

Who Regulates Construction?


Building Construction Exams State Electrical Exams State Plumbing Exams State Mechanical Exams National Exams

Construction Work Regulated?


Plumbing and electrical work is regulated at the state level and, in some cases, at the
local level. Most general contractors are regulated, in varying degrees, by the cities or
counties in which they work.

Who Regulates Construction?


Online registration and information for prequalification for highway work, bridge and
road projects are filed with:

Colorado Department of Transportation
2829 West Howard Place, Suite 300
Denver, CO 80204
(303) 757-9215

Please see the bidding website for instructions on electronic application for
prequalification and bidding rules:
Applications and licensing information for electrical licenses can be obtained from:
Colorado State Electrical Board
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
(303) 894-2300/Fax (303) 894-2310

Applications and information for plumbing licenses can be obtained from:

Colorado Examining Board of Plumbers
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
(303) 894-2300/Fax (303) 894-2310 a/Plumbing



Highway Prequalification: Financial limits are set based on the financial statements
and bonding capacity letters submitted. Financial statements may be compiled,
reviewed or audited. Prequalification is on an annual basis. The average processing
time of a new application is 15 days. All contracts awarded by the State Department
of Transportation for road, bridge or repair construction require performance and
payment bonds. New bidding limits for prequalification depending on the associated
required financial statement are as follows:

Level of Prequalification / Requirements
$0 - $3,000,000 / A Compiled Financial Statement and Documentation
of their Boding Capacity
$3,000,000 - $5,000,000 / A Reviewed Financial Statement with Documentation
of their Bonding Capacity
$5,000,000 and Over / An Audited Financial Statement with Documentation
of their Bonding Capacity

The Colorado Department of Transportation Procurement Department is now using
a vendor facing portal. To do business with COOT, visit https://supplierregistration. for an initial registration to create your self service portal. Once you are registered, visit to enter your Prequalification Questionnaire and to attach the associated documents.

For additional information and instructions on how to register and prequalify on the
COOT Supplier Self Service-Portal, please visit
portal-work-instructions. Bids for Road and Bridge Construction projects will continue
to be solicited electronically via the Bid Express website at COOT
procurement solicitations (commodities and personal services) will now use this
vendor portal for their bids.

Innovative delivery method projects such as design-build, CM-GC and Best Value, are not subject to the mandatory electronic bidding requirement.

Applicants for a Master Electrician license must document 5 years of
experience and training. 4 years of that time must be electrical construction wiring, for lights, heat and power with a minimum of 2 years of that time being commercial and/or industrial work. 1 additional year must be in planning, lay-out, supervising and installing wiring, apparatus and equipment for electrical light, heat and power. Applicants must also pass the master electrician's examination. Journeyman electrician applicants must document 4 years of experience. Residential wiremen must have 2 years of residential experience. Electrical contractors must be, or employ, a full-time master electrician registered with the State Board. Contractor applications must present evidence that they have complied with the workers' compensation law and unemployment compensation.

Examination and experience requirements exist for master, residential and
journeyman plumber applicants . Experience requirements consist of 5 years or 8,500 hours for masters, 2 years or 3,400 hours for residential, and 4 years or 6,800 hours for journeymen.


Colorado has reciprocal licensing agreements, for journeyman electrical license only,
with the following states: Alaska, Arkansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New
Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming. Plumbing licenses, in some cases, may be obtained by endorsement. For endorsement information, contact the board.