Choose a state

Construction Work Regulated?

Who Regulates Construction?


Municipal & Public Works Exams Highway, Street, and Bridge Construction Exams Building Construction Exams NASCLA Exams Hazardous Materials Exams Commercial Specialty Exams Heavy Construction Exams Residential License Exams State Business & Law Exam "A" Classification Exams State Mechanical Exams Electrical Inspector Registration Exams National Exams

Construction Work Regulated?

Journeyman Plumbers, Master Plumbers, Medical Gas Licensing, Gas Fitter, and Water Supply Protection Specialist (WSPS) Endorsement is handled by the State Plumbing Board of Louisiana. All persons who hold a contractors license that performs any of the above types of work stated must be licensed with the State Plumbing Board of Louisiana before they can obtain a license through the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors for Plumbing. Licensing requirements exist for all commercial, industrial, highway, and residential construction contracts.

Hazardous material projects or mold remediation projects with a value of $1 or more require licensing.

Home improvement contracts with a value exceeding $7,500 but not in excess of $75,000 require registration or licensing with the Board.

Subcontractors performing construction of over $7,500 for new homes must have
a license for the following trades: framing, masonry/stucco, slabs/foundations, pile
driving, roofing and swimming pools

Electrical and mechanical work, including plumbing, with a value exceeding $10,000
requires licensing.

Commercial, industrial, and highway construction with a value of $50,000 or more
requires a commercial license.

Who Regulates Construction?

Journeyman Plumbers Licensing, Journeyman and Master Natural Gas Fitter Licensing, Master Plumbers Licensing, Medical Gas Licensing and Water Supply Protection

Specialist (WSPS) Endorsement applications may be obtained from:

State Plumbing Board of Louisiana
11304 Cloverland Avenue
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
(225) 756-3434/Fax (225) 756-3433

Licensing applications may be obtained from and filed with:

Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors
600 North Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
(225) 765-2301/Fax (225) 381-0682


Applicants must pass an examination in order to be licensed to perform or install plumbing work. To qualify for the Journeyman Plumber exam, you must verify at least 5 years or 8,000 hours of work experience installing, repairing, or maintaining plumbing systems. The Board does not have any reciprocity agreements with other states; however, if you have a valid plumbing license in another state, you can use it to qualify to take the Journeyman Plumber exam in Louisiana in lieu of the required vouchers. Once you obtain your Journeyman Plumber license, you may apply to take the Master Plumber exam.

In addition to the Master and Journeyman Plumber licenses, the State Plumbing Board also issues Water Supply Protection Specialist (WSPS) endorsements, Medical Gas Installer licenses, Medical Gas Verifier licenses and Master and Journeyman Natural Gas Fitter licenses.

Applicants must complete the Business and Law course and exams for the specific trade. Louisiana accepts the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors in lieu of the trade portion of the Building Construction Examination, NASCLA Electrical Examination, and/or the Residential Building Contractor Examination. Independently prepared financial statements are required with the application Residential Building Contractors, Home Improvement Registrants, and Mold Remediation Contractors must file insurance certificates for workers' compensation and general liability for the statutory limits (i.e. Residential Building Contractors and Home Improvement Registrants, $100,000, Mold Remediation Contractors, $50,000).

Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors considers each case individually and can grant an exemption of examination and of statutory license issuance waiting periods to a nonresident contractor based on a reciprocal agreement or examination waiver agreement with another state. Currently, contractors domiciled in and holding
licenses in Alabama (General Contractors, Residential, Electrical and HVAC), Arkansas, California (Building Construction only), Georgia (Genera l Contractors, Conditioned Air, Electrical, and Residential), Kentucky (Electrical), Mississippi, North Carolina (General Contractors, Electrical), Nevada and Ohio (Electrical and Mechanical Trades), South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (Electrical), and Utah may receive this exemption. To be eligible, the contractor must have held a license with a comparable classification in their state without having been sanctioned in their state for violations of contractors' laws for 3 consecutive years (1 year for Texas, 5 years for California).

Fees for Initial Commercial Application

Classification/License Fees / Amount

1 Classification / $100
2 Classifications / $195
3 Classifications / $290
4 Classifications / $380
5 or More Classifications / $400


Trade Examination Administration/Research/transaction fee (per classification) / $120
Cost of Business and Law Examination and the study guide / $180

Background Financial Investigations

Background Financial Investigation Processing Fee / $160

For All Out-of-State Contractors' Only

Out-of-State Contractors' Surcharge / $400