Choose a state

Construction Work Regulated?

Who Regulates Construction?


State Plumbing Exams City Exams National Exams

Construction Work Regulated?

Electrical work for road construction, along with construction contracts that exceed $2,500 and are done by out-of-state contractors, are regulated in the state of Nebraska.

Prequalification is required to bid on state highway projects greater than $2,500. Other than roads, all electrical work with no $2,500 lower limit per the state electrical act is regulated.

Who Regulates Construction?

Highway prequalification information may be obtained from:

Nebraska Department of Roads
Contract Lettings Division
Post Office Box 94759
Lincoln, NE 68509-4759
(402) 479-4525/Fax (402) 479-3728

Contractor registration information may be obtained from:

Nebraska Department of Labor
Office of Labor Standards
550South16th Street
Lincoln, NE 68508
(402) 471-2239

Electrical licensing information and permit requirements may be obtained from:

Nebraska State Electrical Board
Post Office Box 95066
1220 Lincoln Mall, Suite 125
Lincoln, NE 68509-5066
(402) 471-3550/Fax (402) 471-4297

Tax License Information may be obtained from:

Nebraska Department of Revenue
Post Office Box 94818
Lincoln, NE 68509-4818
(402) 471-5729


All Nebraska Contractors must register with the Department of Labor to be included in the joint Dept. of Labor/Dept. of Revenue Contractor Registration Database. The database system is managed by the Nebraska Department of Labor. The combined database allows contractors to register their business (or self); to renew their annual registration; to elect or change their revenue contractor tax option; and register non-resident contractor project permits at A listing of all currently registered contractors is also available on the website. Questions regarding the registration process may be sent to In order to register, contractors must provide:

a. General contact information on the business.
b. Proof of Unemployment Insurance coverage.
c. Proof of Workers' Compensation Insurance coverage.
d. All Nebraska Contractors must elect a contractor's tax option as part of the database registration process. This election determines how sales tax will be paid on building materials used in a construction project. A sales or use tax
permit is generally needed and is obtained by filing a Nebraska Tax Application, Form 20. This is available at
e. Registration of the non-resident contractor business as well as each construction project on which a non-resident contractor will perform construction services in Nebraska. This includes a 1 time $25 fee to register as a non-resident contractor plus a $25 fee for each project permit requested, in excess of $10,000.
f. A $40 annual registration fee (or the appropriate notarized affidavit, if exempt from the fee). All registration fees are paid to the Department of Labor.

All contractors making payments to other contractors/subcontractors who are not on the new database are required to withhold and remit to the Department of Revenue 5% of all payments made to the non-registered contractors/subcontractors. These amounts withheld are treated like income tax withholding. This requires having (or obtaining) a Nebraska withholding license and remittance of the amounts withheld on Nebraska income tax withholding returns. Additionally, a Form 1099-MISC showing the

Fire Alarm Installers:
Have at least 2 years experience, acceptable to the board in planning, laying out and installing fire alarm systems.

Type of license /License Fee/Even numbered year / License Fee/Odd numbered year / Exam Fee

Electrical Contractor / $125 / $250 / $125
Journeyman Electrician / $25 / $50 / $60
Residential Journeyman Wireman / $25 / $50 / $60
Fire Alarm Installer / $25 / $50 / $60
Apprentice Electrician / $20 / $40 / N/A

For electrical contractors, Nebraska has a reciprocity agreement with Minnesota and South Dakota. For Journeyman Electrician License, there are reciprocal agreements with Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.