Choose a state

Construction Work Regulated?

Who Regulates Construction?


National Exams

Construction Work Regulated?

Prequalification may be required for any public works construction.

Various construction trades are regulated at the state level.

A financial responsibility certification is required in order to obtain a building permit for 1 or 2 fa mily dwellings. Works performed by owners who occupy or will occupy the dwelling are exempt from the certification requirements.

Asbestos certification is also required by the state.

Who Regulates Construction?

Highway prequalification applications may be obtained from:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Division of Transportation Systems Development
Bureau of Project Development, Room 601
Post Office Box 7916
Madison, WI 53707-7916
(608) 266-1631/Fax (608) 266-8459

Trade license information may be obtained from:

Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services Trades Credentials Unit
1400 East Washington Avenue
Post Office Box 7082
Madison, WI 53708
(608) 266-2112/Fax (608) 267-0592


Highway Prequalification:
To qualify for highway work, contractors must submit experience history and year end financial statements. Prequalification statements must be on file with the department in sufficient time to permit analysis, but in no event later than 10 business days prior to the bid opening date. A "financial factor" will be determined from the applicant's balance sheet and combined with experience, equipment and ability to perform highway work to establish a "work rating". If a rating of more than $500,000 is desired, a CPA prepared reviewed or audited financial statement must be submitted. Prequalification is good for 2 years. A payment and performance bond is required. A proposal guaranty is also required. Acceptable proposal guaranty options can be found in section 102 of the standard specifications.

Blasting Contractors:
Applicants for the blasting license must have 640 - 2000 hours work experience depending on the class, and pass an examination. The exam is based on law and trade knowledge and must be passed with a minimal score of 70%. The application must be filed 30 days prior to the day of examination. Licensing is good for 4 years from the date of issuance. Renewal requires passing a take home examination.

License Type / Application Fee / Exam Fee / Credential Fee
Class 1 - 7 Blaster License / $15 / $30 / $100
Fireworks Manufacturer / $15 / N/A / $70

Applicants for the journeyman plumber credential must complete a plumbing apprenticeship program. A journeyman restricted license applicant must have 1,000 hours of experience as a registered learner-restricted worker and complete an educational course. A master applicant must have 1,000 hours of 3 consecutive year's experience. all applicants must pass, with a minimum score of 70%, an exam based on law and trade knowledge. Licenses are issued for 4 years. Continuing education experience is required for all licenses.

License Type / Application Fee / Exam Fee / Credential Fee
Journeyman/Restricted / $10 / $20 / $180
Master/Restricted / $20 / $30 / $500
Apprentice / $15 / N/A / $15
Learner Restricted / $15 / N/A / $15
Utility Contractor / $10 / $30 / $500
Pipe Layer / $15 / N/A / $180

Fire Sprinkler:
Applicants who wish to apply for a fire sprinkler license must pass a knowledge, law and trade exam with a minimum score of 70%

License Type / Application Fee / Exam Fee / Credential Fee
Contractor / $25 / $100 / $2000
Journeyman / $10 / $20 / $180
Apprentice / $15 / N/A / $15

Dwellings, Structures and Sites:
Contractors who wish to work on a 1 or 2 family dwelling must hold a credential of financial responsibility. To apply fort he financial responsibility credential, a contractor must show proof of compliance with the workers' compensation, unemployment compensation and liability, or bond insurance requirements. Persons applying must be the owner, partner, chairman of the board or chief executive applying on behalf of the contracting corporation. A $25,000 bond is required for the credential. Applicants who submit a bond in an amount less than $25,000 will be issued a restricted certification.

Dwelling contractors shall also employ an individual that possesses the state Dwelling Contractor Qualified Certification, which is obtained through attendance at initial and ongoing training.

All contractors must provide and payment and performance bond that is required at the time of contract execution.

Wisconsin has reciprocity with Iowa for Master Journeyman Electricians.